Pontedera

Pontedera Pontedera

The name is linked to the Pontedera Piaggio since 1924, when the engineer from Genoa Rinaldo Piaggio will relocate part of its aerospace industry, which after World War II was converted into a factory of motorcycles participating in the economic boom of the Sixties and transforming the face of the city.

Pontedera is now the Museum of the Piaggio Foundation "Giovanni Alberto Agnelli", which exposes the many models produced by over a vast historical archive. In an old warehouse is home to the Polo Sant'Anna Era, center of excellence in robotics and computer technology.

Pontedera has recently become a center of contemporary art through the exhibition center Otello Cirri, the spaces of the Municipal Library, and the sculptures permanently located in parks and squares of the city (see the benches copyright in Piazza Garibaldi) or at the center of roundabouts. This outdoor museum is the original signal the Wall Baj, oleander of Carmi, the Bull of Cascella, the Vespa Trafeli, the young woman and works of Vangi Canuti.

Even the theatrical activity is a strong point of the city: the new Theatre was home to the Pontedera Theatre Foundation, also known abroad for his avant-garde productions. There are many cultural events, theatrical and musical events throughout the year, both in town and nearby villages and Treggiaia Montecastello.

Due to its position of nodal point between Era, Valdarno, Valdinievole Pontedera and plain of Lucca has always been a very busy shopping center. Even today, in October, we celebrate the Feast of Saint Luke, a sample of the Era and the Valdarno whose first edition was published in 1471. The wide range of commercial shopping center is enriched by a weekly market every Friday of the largest in Tuscany. To celebrate the commercial vocation of the city every summer, the town organizes a series of evenings devoted to shopping under the stars, culminating in the Feast of Commerce and the Notte Bianca.